Elizabeth Dyar's stone was erected by Elder Joseph Dyar, her oldest
son, who emigrated from Malden, MA, to the Province of Maine in 1806
and settled in Phillips, where he became the Leading Free Baptist Elder
of that section. Elizabeth had made her home with him for some time
prior to her death. Elizabeth Nichols Dyar was buried here at her own
request. A tamarack tree was planted on the grave the same year. The
simple white marble slab is inscribed: "My Mother, Mrs. Elizabeth, died
June 4, 1818, Age 67" and "All Flesh Is As Grass"
September 1923, the gravesite of Elizabeth Nichols Dyar was restored by
descendants, the Town of Freeman and the Colonel Asa Whitcomb
Chapter DAR of Kingfield and declared an
Historical Shrine. As the seventh State Marking, a tablet was dedicated
in July 1924 as a Memorial by the MSODAR State Regent and presented to
the Col. Asa Whitcomb Chapter DAR stating: "Today we are standing in a
little country field, where this tall tree will shed its leaves softly
over the grave."
The Tablet reads:
"To Commemorate the Patriotism of
ELIZABETH NICHOLS DYAR
One of Three Young Women
Who Mixed and Applied the Paint
To Disguise as Indians
The Men of the Boston Tea Party
With Her Children She was Smuggled
Through the lines to Malden
Passed Latter Part of Life Here
With youngest son, John Nichols Dyar
On Prospect Farm
And was Buried on this spot.
Also her husband
Who was Nine Times captured by the British
While Captain of Boat
Carrying Supplies to American Army
Died From Effect of Ill Treatment in 1783
And was buried in Malden, Mass.
This Grave Restored by Their Descendants,
Town of Freeman, and Colonel Asa Whitcomb Chapter
of Kingfield, September 1923.
Tablet placed by the Maine State Council
Daughters of the American Revolution
Mr. Dodge explained that the rock on which the bronze tablet rests came
from Freeman Center. His father, Benjamin Dodge,
found the rock and
being a stone mason, cut the stone and fitted the tablet onto it. At
the time in 1923, the tablet bore more inscription than any other
tablet in Maine.
It took a team of six horses to
transport the rock from its location at
Freeman Center to the location of the grave. River gravel was hauled
from Strong in grain bags on a conveyance pulled by horses and the one
truck available at the time in Strong. The gravel was used as a base
for the rock.
Stone posts are at the corners of the Memorial lot and chains attached
to the posts surrounding the area. Dodge said he made the forms and
filled them with cement for the post caps.
When the Kingfield Chapter retired their chapter in 1964, the deed was
passed on to Colonial Daughters Chapter DAR of Farmington.
At a DAR meeting in 1965, Warren Dodge spoke of planting a new Tamarack
tree to replace the old one which stood nearly 150 years. He and Seward
Marsh transplanted the tree from its home on Taylor Hill in New
Vineyard. The stump of the old tree, even though taken off close to the
ground, still remained in 1999.