Located at Jefferson Street, Biddeford, Maine
GPS: Lat:43.49341 Lon:W70.45786
A marker was placed by the Rebecca Emery Chapter NSDAR at the Jefferson Street Church to honor Marquis de Lafayette. The chapter members discussed placing a marker on June 3, 1916. They had collected $28.75 by the October 1916 meeting and were promised more. It wasn’t until May 6, 1917, that the chapter placed the tablet on the church. This was done during the Biddeford Tercentenary Celebration of the Richard Vines building. Marquis De Lafayette, patriot, soldier, and friend of American independence, worshiped in this building on his visit to Biddeford, Maine, June 26, 1825. The First Baptist Church is now for sale. The frame of this church dates back to 1797 when it originally stood on Crescent Street. The church was moved from Crescent Street to Jefferson Street in 1850. It was known as the Free Will Baptist Church and was remodeled in 1899. Lafayette worshiped in this church during 1825 before it was moved from its original Crescent Street location.
DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION”