Maine flag   Maine Chapters

|Home| |DAR Eligibility| |Maine DAR Historical Projects| |Current DAR Programs| |Burnham Tavern,Machias |
|Maine Room - DAR Museum| |Maine Chapters| |Children of the American Revolution| |National Society DAR|



Chapter Name

Chapter Location

Year Organized   

Origin of Chapter Name

Burnt Meadow

Sabattus

April 17,1948

  This name was given to the territory known as Webster, by early settlers. It was burnt over each year by the Indians to be kept free from woodland growth for a camping ground between the Androscoggin and Kennebec Rivers.

Colonial Daughters

Farmington

June 25,1908

  This chapter was named in honor of all the women who contributed in their own individual ways, whether by support or loss of husbands and sons, to the cause of the Revolutionary War.

Elizabeth Wadsworth

Portland

Oct.8,1894

 The first chapter of the DAR in the State of Maine was named for the wife of General Peleg Wadsworth, who was the grandfather of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Esther Eayres

Orono

July 12,1918

  Esther Eayers was the first white child born in Orono on April 30, 1777.

Eunice Farnsworth -Ruth Heald Cragin 

Skowhegan

Merged in 2008

  Eunice Farnsworth was the first white woman to settle in Somerset County - 1772. Her husband Joseph Weston assisted in piloting Arnold's Quebec Expedition up the Kennebec River.
   Ruth Heald Cragin was the daughter of Major Ephraim and Sarah Conant Heald and the wife of John Cragin. Cragin entered the military at an early age, and was a sergeant and a lieutenant, becoming a captain in the War of 1812.

Fort Halifax

Winslow

Mar.17,1913

  Fort Halifax is at the junction of the Kennebec and Sebasticook rivers, it was built in 1754. One of its original block houses is still standing; it's the only one in the State built before the Revolutionary War. This block house is the property of this chapter.

Frances Dighton Williams

Bangor

May 21,1897

  Frances Dighton Williams was the wife of Richard Williams, founder of the town of Taunton, MA. They both were born in England, and came to America in 1636. She was the ancestor of Mrs. Corelli C.W. Simpson, first regent of the chapter.

Hannah Weston

Machias

Feb.2,1901

  Hannah Weston was a Revolutionary War heroine who carried ammunition through sixteen miles of wilderness for the men who were engaged in the first naval battle of the war which took place in Machias Bay.

Koussinoc

Augusta

Dec. 17,1897

  This chapter was named after the ancient Indian name of "Cushnoc", meaning, " the sacred site beside the rippling water."

Lady Knox

Rockland

Jan.17,1898

  This chapter was named on honor of the wife of General Henry Knox, George Washington's first Secretary of War. She was always at the side of Martha Washington, the ministering angel of the camp, throughout those tragic days at Valley Forge, PA.

Majabigwaduce

Brooksville

July 7,2001

  This chapter's name is MicMac for "the big tideway river". The whole course of the river, along the town line which separates Brooksville from Castine, Penobscot and Sedgewick, runs about 15 miles - all of it salt water except Walker's Pond, which twice each day is emptied and filled through the Narrows."

Mary Dillingham

Lewiston

1895

  This was the 2nd chapter to form in Maine. It was named for the grandmother of the chapter organizer, and the wife of a Revolutionary War soldier.

Molly Ockett

Fryeburg

Dec.3,1976

  Molly Ockett was an Indian Princess, daughter of Chief Paugus of the Pequacket Tribe, who traveled throughout the Saco River Valley, spending much of her time in Fryeburg. She is said to have healing powers, and healed a sickly white baby, Hannibal Hamblin, who became Vice President of the U.S. under Abraham Lincoln.

Mount Desert Isle

Bar Harbor

Dec. 3,1976

  Mount Desert Isle Chapter took its name from the island upon which it was established. The earliest record of this name was written in 1604 by Samuel deChamplain, royal geographer for Henry IV.

Old York

York

Jan.9,1914

  This chapter was named from the historical setting of the town of York, which dates back to the seventeenth century. It was settled in 1624 and on April 10, 1641, under the name 'Gorgeana', was endowed with a city charter by Sir Ferdinando Gorges, becoming the first English city in America. In 1652 it was organized into a town named York, becoming the second town in the State.

Pemaquid

Lincoln County

Nov.26,1932

  Pemaquid was an ancient historical Indian name, given to the Fort, an ancient landmark which was built in 1607, and later destroyed by the French and Indians in Colonial Days.

Penobscot Expedition

Searsport

June 9,1972

  The name was suggested by State Vice Regent Agnes Ames, commemorating the ill-fated Penobscot Expedition of 1779, the largest infantry-naval engagement of the Revolutionary War.

Ramassoc

Bucksport

Oct.15,1976

  Ramassoc is an Indian word meaning "the meeting of the waters". The town of Bucksport is located where the Penobscot and the Narrimissic Rivers meet and empties into the Atlantic Ocean.

Rebecca Emery

Biddeford

Jan.25,1897

  Rebecca Emery, for whom the chapter was named, was lovingly called the "Grandmother of all Biddeford and Saco". Five of the charter members were her direct descendants.

Samuel Grant-Mary Kelton Dummer

Gardiner

Merged in 2012

 Samuel Grant was born in 1740 in Berwick. He raised a company of soldiers in York County, marched to the siege of Boston, and to Bunker Hill where he fought and later was made a Captain. Mary Kelton Dummer is in honor of the woman who dispersed the doughnuts so long ago, thus honoring cookery, womanhood and one of the great names of Old Hallowell. 

Silence Howard Hayden

Waterville

Jan.3,1898

  This chapter was named for the wife of Revolutionary War Soldier Col. Josiah Hayden.

Tisbury Manor

Monson

Nov.15,1952

Tisbury Manor was chosen as the name, to memorialize New England's only established Memorial Grant and honoring its Lord, Thomas Mayhew, from whom 12 members of the Chapter are descended.

Topsham-Brunswick

Brunswick

Nov.5,1924

  This chapter was named for the two towns from which it drew its members.




|Home| |DAR Eligibility| |Maine DAR Historical Projects| |Current DAR Programs| |Burnham Tavern,Machias |
|Maine Room - DAR Museum| |Maine Chapters| |Children of the American Revolution| |National Society DAR|

Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Updated 22 OCT 2014 by Melanie Farmer